Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

It's a small world for Lori Nix

Lori Nix addresses Owens Photo Club. (Pho245/Sydney Sawkins)
     I chose Lori Nix as my center point for my environmental portrait assignment.
     Nix is a New York artist who builds intricate and detailed dioramas, and then photographs the finished results. She breaks most of her dioramas down after she captures them on film before she begins her next project. She utilizes exceptional lighting techniques, and her pictures have a distinct and original personality.
     Nix came to our campus last week to speak to the Owens Photo Club about her work. She focused on getting jobs in the commercial market, and about how we have to go out and get work rather than wait for it to fall in our laps. She also discussed some of her inspiration for her personal projects, such as her photos of dioramas that depicted post-apocalyptic scenes, which were displayed at the Toledo Museum of Art from November until yesterday.
     When shooting my environmental portrait of Nix showing a slideshow of her work, it seemed like the dim lighting in the classroom was against me, and I did not utilize it the best way possible. The lights were off for most of the presentation, and only a little sunlight was streaming in through a side window. Therefore, I had to deal with an extremely high ISO, a wide-open aperture and a slow shutter speed. 
     I feel I managed to comprehend the assignment, but did not excel in shooting it. However, this will give me the nudge to practice tough lighting situations. 
Lori Nix shows some of her commercial work. (Pho245/Sydney Sawkins)
One of the photos on display in Nix's series that was at the Toledo Museum of Art. http://www.lorinix.net/
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers