Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Long live the First Amendment!

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." 
     After learning about the First Amendment, I found that I have rights that are vital to my journalism. The best part has to be the freedoms of speech and press because I may write or say something that others may not agree with.
     Sometimes I think people need to be shown a different perspective so that they can learn important lessons, even when something is unappealing. As a photojournalist, freedom of the press protects my right to shoot sensitive and disturbing photos. I had previously thought that I had to blindly obey the authorities if they told me I could not take pictures somewhere, or could be asked to leave if I covered an issue that someone else found distasteful.
     I am now confident that my rights cannot be stomped, which will allow me to better educate the masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers